22 April 2013

THE DECISION



It’s that time of the year. We have to make a decision that could make or break our lives. Yes, it is choosing the path to a career we may do for the rest of our lives. Reaching this particular point myself I have realized that there is no easy way out. Also it is particularly hard when you choose to deviate from the careers a science student is expected to choose i.e. medicine, engineering etc. it is especially hard when you lose out on the support of a parent. I know because I am going through the same situation where my dad is totally against me trying for mass communications as a career. In fact he is so much against it that he would rather I drop a year and work towards a career path I abhor- medicine. I never had an aptitude for science and when finally it came down to making a choice I picked the one that would make me happy and something that I would be good at. It is really disappointing for me to see the people I care about being pushed in directions that they do not want. They do it for the sole purpose of pleasing their parents. I think that that is really, really sad. If they tried a little bit harder they could actually do something that they like instead of spending a whole lifetime doing something they hate. I am very particular about medicine. I consider it to be a very noble profession and it is really disheartening to see people treat it so casually. Taking it up when they do not even like it! It is a profession where you literally have a hold over a person’s life. Do you really want to play with that? If you are confused about medicine then maybe that’s your first clue that you shouldn’t take it up. So think about it. Do you really want it? At the end of the day it is going to be you who will live with the decision and you cannot blame anybody else. So choose wisely people… don’t be rash and don’t be emotional. Be objective and evaluate your strengths and weaknesses and most importantly you should never come to regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment