29 July 2016

I know that this is just one of the many incidents that you may have read and usually i won't bother but j am so tired just really tired of being groped and touched everywhere just because i happen to be a woman. I still remember the first time i was touched without permission... I was a kid and didn't know better and thought it was just the way things were. The worst part? It was a relative! Then i grew up i realised that what happened was wrong but who do i tell it to? Who would believe me? Finally i told my friends and guess what? Mine was just a small drop in the big murky ocean of sexual predators who think it is okay to take advantage of a child just because they don't get caught. Well now i am an adult and i should be knowing better right? Let me tell you a story. Today i was travelling by a seater bus from Bangalore to Coimbatore. I boarded the bus and took my seat next to a very sweet woman. Then i tried to open the window n i couldnt so this wonderful man sitting behind helped me out and i smiled and thanked him. I have this apparently enviable character of being able to doze of immediately so i did and just some time back i woke up to hin rubbing my breast! Apparently my smile was an invitation!! And today i realised there is only so much i could do. I turned back to berate him while people just looked at me. He got up and left. Unopposed and in one piece to try again with somebody else some day. This is not the first and this won't be the last but other than hitting back what can i do? Wear appropriate clothes some might say...i was wearing a very loose and long top with a jacket over it... My next option would be a burkha if that's inappropriate. It is unfair that i have to finish nearly every journey disgusted and very very very angry. It's very exhausting and frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment