9 February 2013

A rude, rude world!



I read an interesting article in the newspaper about how in this modern age we have lost the art of communicating without being rude. In a way I find it to be true. Who can blame us when gadgets have replaced human contact. I can say this with certainty because I am guilty of perpetrating this crime myself. Meeting someone in person has been replaced by emails, texts and just calling. Family dinners have been marred by the presence of television, laptops. Communication has become impersonal. People live in their own little world which they have created and seem to not care who or what they talk or say something to. It is so incredibly annoying when you are trying to make conversation and the other person keeps checking their phone! People talk about etiquette and class but checking your phone or just interrupting a person without excusing yourself…how classy is that? I can only say how can you ask me to eat, dress and sit properly when you yourself haven’t mastered the basics in manners? It’s like people get a kick out of being rude.  Gandhi once said “be the change you want to see in others”. He was a very wise man. If only people would actually follow it without simply quoting it!(let me clarify…I do…at least I make an effort to follow what I preach)! I am not asking anybody to stay out of touch with their virtual world but at least have the decency to excuse yourself before you attend to something instead of acting like a pompous jackass. There is also I fine line between teasing and being rude. Most of us deliberately say something and pass it of as a joke. Well here is an eye opener, it’s not at all funny but just plain rude. The funny part, most people demand a favor, apparently the concept of a “request” is mind boggling to the great minds of the technological age. It has come down to the fact that people are surprised when they hear “please” and “thank you”. Don’t even get me started on the customer service these days. All I want is people to step out of their narrow worlds, look around them and see that humans are their companions and not gadgets. To be emotional, to feel, to laugh, and to cry is what humans do. Tone down the condescension and superiority complex. Try really hard to be polite and step away from you gadgets when you are talking to someone. Do not be rude without a reason. I won’t be winning the first place for politeness but I do try. I do have to agree that there are a lot of exceptions to the rule which is why I say after all this if the person still rubs you in the wrong way go out and kick some ass with flair!

1 comment: