9 February 2013

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.”




― Anthony Bourdain

For reasons that are my own I have always felt feelings of contempt and scorn for the opposite sex. I never tried to hide it. I just cannot bring myself to completely trust them. It was very easy to figure out what ever they think. I rarely met a guy who is worth paying attention to or even getting to know. I was technically a man-hater. I thought they were superficial and would go after the first pretty thing that smiled at them. To contradict this I met some really nice guys over the past two years. Thought it did not drastically change my opinion of men in general it still brought around considerable changes. Even though I may not be their biggest fan I have come to not categorize every single man I meet in the same criteria. Today was one of the days I actually appreciated a man. I do not know his name but he is the husband of a rape victim. He was betrothed to the victim for over a year. That was when she was raped. This guy actually stood up for the girl and said he wanted to marry her only. He convinced his family to agree to the union and now he is a devoted husband. He is an epitome of what qualities I think a man should have. Men like these are rare. They do not advertise what they do nor do they see what they do as something great. They just follow their inborn and inculcated values of respecting a woman. I do have a few men in my life who are admirable in every way but I still think if there were more men like him, I wouldn’t be so cynical and the world too would be a friendlier place for a woman to live in.

1 comment: